A mini ‘Black Forest Gateau’
July 5, 2011
Our pre-dessert was a mini pud, I love this kind of thing they are great to finish off a meal at home to give you that sweet hit, and can be made in advance.
This was a mini black forest gateaux. this should make 8 little portions.
for the cherries:
200g dark cherries, stones removed and sliced
115ml kirsch liquor
115g granulated sugar
toss together and set in fridge for an hour before using
225g bittersweet (70% cacao) chocolate, finely chopped
80 ml milk
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten with a fork
4 egg whites
115ml heavy cream, cold
1. Put a medium-sized mixing bowl and a wire whisk in the freezer and get them cold, this will make whipping the cream mush easier.
2. Melt your chocolate in the microwave.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the milk and sugar to the boil and then take off heat. Whisk the yolks constantly and slowly drizzle the hot milk in and whisk until the mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a spoon.
Make sure you add the hot milk in small amounts at first; otherwise the egg yolks will cook too quickly and the mixture will curdle. Once you’ve addedmost of the milk this way, the temperature of the egg yolks will rise enough to allow the rest of the milk to be added at once then add the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
4. In another mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, place the egg whites and whisk until hot-to-the-touch. Add the salt and whisk until stiff peaks form. Add 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in the rest gently.
5. Place the heavy cream in the chilled mixing bowl and whip with the chilled whisk until stiff peaks form. Add 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in the rest gently.
Then get your serving dishes, whether big or small, make a layer of the soaked cherries then the chocolate mousse and chill for at least an hour or until you want to eat them.
Serve with a little drizzle of fresh cream and a cherry on top.
This was mine…
It was good.
I would advise you to make little ones as this was more than enough for me, it’s very rich and there is a real kick to those cherries.