Mushroom and Pine Nut Kibbe
May 5, 2011
This is another recipe from Nigel Slater’s Real Cooking…
for 4 good portions
4 med onions chopped
200g bulgar wheat
tsp ground cinnamon
2 large cloves garlic chopped
handful pine nuts
handful fresh mint
good handful chopped cherry tomatoes
natural yogurt and fresh mint to serve
1. Cook the chopped onions in enough oil to cover the bottom of a medium saucepan, soften on a med-low heat.
2. Soak the bulgar wheat in cold water, just enough to cover
3. Add the garlic and cinnamon to the onions and continue to cook until all are soft, and going golden
4. Cut the mushrooms up into slightly bigger than bite sized pieces
5. Put half of the onion mix into the bulgar and mix together
6. Return the rest to the stove, add a little more oil and when hot add the mushrooms, cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender and juicy then season with salt and pepper
7. Add the pine nuts, mints and tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes
8. Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has almost all dissolved but do not let it become dry
9. Butter a shallow baking dish (I used a loaf tin) and put half of the bulgar in, then add the mushroom mixture then the rest of the bulgar on top. Dot with butter then scatter some more pine nuts
10. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes at 180c
Mix the yogurt and mint and serve in big dollops with the kibbe, I served this with the chicken recipe from yesterday, slightly random but both so tasty I didn’t care!
Oh so tasty, healthy and unusual.