Sticky toffee pudding…
January 27, 2011
The Boy asked me to make this as the pudding to his roast on Sunday when I had my family over… the deal was he makes the roast I make a pudding, good deal!
So I thought this was going to be a huge pain but actually is a really easy pudding, I am definitely making this again…
For the pudding…
150g dates, stones removed, chopped
250ml hot water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp coffee essence
60g butter, softened
60g caster sugar
2 free-range eggs
150g self-raising flour
For the toffee sauce
400g brown sugar
vanilla pod, split
250ml double cream
Preheat the oven to 180c
1. Mix the dates, coffee essence bicarbonate of soda and the water together in a bowl and leave to soak for ten minutes, I couldn’t find coffee essence anywhere so used a tbsp of coffee from a cafetiere
2. In a clean bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
3. Still stirring the butter mixture, gradually add the eggs, making sure they are well mixed in then gradually add the flour, then add the date mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into a 20cm cake tin. Place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
5. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan over a medium heat, then add the brown sugar, vanilla pod and cream and stir well. Simmer for five minutes.
This was another recipe from my hand-made cookbook, but I adapted to make one big one.
This made a huge amount of sauce, to serve I pour most over the pudding and put the rest in a jug for people to help themselves
The served with vanilla ice cream… it was lovely quite light, perfect after a big roast beef lunch